Huchuy Qosqo Tours 2D/1N
The ruins of Huchuy Qosqo sit on a small plateau high above the Sacred Valley offering a spectacular view of the mountains on the other side of the valley as well as the river and towns below. This hike gives you the great opportunity to trek through the mountains and Inca canyons before reaching these impressive Inca ruins that because of their remoteness, few travelers take the time to visit.
|Perfect for:||This hike is great for those who are short on time but still want to do some hiking before arriving to Machu Picchu, and also is especially good for older couples or families with children.|
|Duration:||2 days/1 night|
|Distance:||14 kilometers or 9 miles|
|Limited Spaces:||This hike does not require permits so there is always availability, however, it is best to reserve your hike in advance to secure the Machu Picchu entrances and the best train tickets.|
|Acclimatization:||Please allow a minimum of 2 days in Cusco before your hike begins.|
Day 1 – We will pick you up from your hotel at 6:00 am and will drive out of Cusco, taking a mountain road to the village of Patabamba where we will start our hike and which is at 3,870 meters or 12,700 feet. We will first walk through this village, passing by local houses and the village church. We will then reach a stream and after crossing the bridge we will hike uphill for about an hour until we are granted a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains and valleys. We will stop to rest and then we will continue down the road until we arrive to the village of Sihuas. After passing through this village we will hike up for about an hour to the pass which is at 4,070 meters or 13,350 feet. At the pass we will stop to have a snack, and then we will descend for about 20 minutes until we reach a well preserved Inca Trail. We follow this path into a small canyon with a rushing stream at the bottom. Here we will start seeing Inca architecture and terraces as well as a large Inca gate. We will continue through the canyon until we reach a lookout point of the Sacred Valley below. We will follow this path around the mountain and the see the first impressive terraces of Huchuy Qosqo. We then pass through the Inca entrance gate and will arrive at the ruins of Huchuy Qosqo where the altitude is 3,865 meters or 12,680 feet. We will find a place to rest and eat our box lunches, and our guide will begin to tell us about this site that was used as a refuge for the Inca king when his enemy was attacking Cusco. After eating, we will have a full tour of the ruins and also have some free time to take photographs. When we are ready, we will begin our hike down to the bottom of the valley to Lamay at 2,990 meters or 9,800 feet which follows a dirt road and takes about one and a half hours. At the end of the road our car will be waiting for us, and we will then drive to Ollantaytambo where we can visit the main plaza. Then we will have supper before taking the train to Aguas Calientes where you will check into your hotel and rest for the night.
Day 2 – After having an early breakfast at your hotel, you will meet your guide and take the 25-minute bus ride up to Machu Picchu. You will have a 3-hour tour with your guide where you will see and learn about the most important sites including the Temple of the Sun, the main plaza, Intiwatana, and the Temple of the Condor. After your tour, you will have some free time to explore the ruins on your own and take more pictures of this amazing place. When you are ready you can take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes, and in the afternoon you will take the train back to Cusco where we will pick you up from the train station and drop you off at your hotel.
- Transportation from your hotel in Cusco to the start of the hike and back to your hotel at the end
- Entrance ticket to Huchuy Qosqo and Machu Picchu
- Round trip train tickets in the Expedition service from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes and back to Cusco
- Round trip bus tickets to Machu Picchu and back to Aguas Calientes
- B&B Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Killa Inn or Panorama B&B depending on availability).
- Tour guide fluent in English, Spanish and Quechua. Our guides are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- On the first day, we will provide you with a snack, box lunch and then we will have dinner in Ollantaytambo. The next day, your breakfast will be included at the hotel. The lunch on the second day is not included.
- Breakfast on the first day and lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes
- Trekking poles (can be rented from us)
- Tip for guide (optional)
What to Bring
- Original passport and student ISIC card (if applicable)
- Backpack to carry your things on the hike (you can leave extra luggage in the car while you do the hike)
- Trekking poles (or you can rent a pair from us)
- Good sneakers or light hiking boots, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals
- Bathing suit (if you would like to enjoy the hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
- Camera and extra batteries
- Rain jacket and plastic poncho (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March)
- Comfortable hiking clothes
- Bug repellent
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Cap for the sun
- Toilet paper
- 1 liter of water per person
Huayna Picchu: If you are interested in climbing Huayna Picchu, the mountain overlooking Machu Picchu, there is an additional fee of $25 USD per person for us to buy your entrance ticket. Spaces are limited, so please let us know when booking whether you would like to hike Huayna Picchu, and we will reserve it for you. For information about this hike, please visit our Huayna Picchu page.
Hotel Upgrade: Included in this tour is one night at a comfortable B&B Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Killa Inn or Panorama B&B depending on availability). However, if you would like to upgrade to a 3, 4, or 5 star hotel, we offer the following prices and options:
- 3 Stars: $40 USD total for a double/matrimonial or single room (Hotel Ferre or La Cabaña)
- 4 Stars: $220 USD total for a double/matrimonial or single room (Casa del Sol – includes dinner at the hotel restaurant)
- 5 Stars: $420 USD total for a double/matrimonial room or $360 USD for a single room (Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo or Sumaq Hotel – both include dinner at their restaurants)
*Please note that all prices listed are for standard rooms and prices will vary for room upgrades. Also, all hotels and room types are subject to availability, and during holidays prices will increase. In addition, we work with many hotels in Aguas Calientes, so if there is a specific hotel not listed that you prefer, please let us know and we can provide you with a price.
Trekking Poles: If you would like to rent trekking poles, the cost is $10 USD for a pair.
Vistadome Train: Our price includes a return train ticket in the Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco, however, if you would like to upgrade to the Vistadome train the price is an additional $25 USD per person.
Additional Information: For more information on rules and regulations of Machu Picchu, please see our Rules and Regulations page here. To see information on cancellations and other policies, please see our Cancellations page here.
How to Book
Since the Huchuy Qosqo Hike does not require permits, there is always availability. We only require a minimum of 2 people to start this hike, so if there are at least 2 people total in your group we can organize your hike for the start date that you choose. If you are traveling by yourself, please email us to check the availability and let us know the hike(s) you are interested in and the dates when you are available to start the hike.
To reserve your hike, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the hike you want to do, the date you want to start, and how many people are in your group. We will also need the following information for each traveler:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Date of birth
- Food restrictions (if any)
- Would you like to climb Huayna Picchu for an additional $25 USD per person?
If you would like tickets to climb Huayna Picchu after your tour of Machu Picchu, we will reserve a ticket for you as long as there is availability.
After sending your personal information, the next step is for each person in your group to make a deposit of $300 USD to reserve your hike. To make your deposit, please pay by selecting the correct amount below or by visiting our Book Now page. To receive the student discount, you must send an email at the time you reserve your spot with a scan of both sides of your student ISIC card. This is the only student card accepted by the National Park and you can find more information about this student ID on the ISIC website here. The remaining balance is due in Cusco. You may pay in cash (either in US dollars or Peruvian soles) at your briefing, or if you prefer you may pay with a Visa credit card at our office. To pay with a credit card, before your briefing please visit our office which is located at Calle Union #140 in the reception of the Cusco B&B Hotel.
Click the Amount to Deposit via Visa:
Huchuy Qosqo Hike to Machu PicchuCheck out Cusi Travel’s 2 day/1 night Huchuy Qosqo Hike to Machu Picchu, and visit a remote Inca archaeological site located in the Sacred Valley! This hike is a great alternative when the 2-Day Inca Trail permits are sold out, or for hikers who want to get off the beaten path!